Slathered and Fried Calamari
July 27, 2010//Comments Off on Slathered and Fried Calamari
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 1 1/2 pounds calamari, cut into rings
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1 sprinkle paprika
- 1 sprinkle pepper
- 1 sprinkle sea salt
- 1 sprinkle dried oregano
- 1 sprinkle onion powder
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 1 lemon cut into 4 wedges
- Slather Brand Slatherin’ Sauce® for dipping
- Soak calamari in buttermilk for 20 to 30 minutes. Meanwhile, fill a large, heavy Dutch oven no more than halfway full with oil. Heat oil to 370 degrees F.
- Combine flour, cornmeal, and sprinkles in a shallow pan or bowl. Remove the calamari from the buttermilk mixture and toss in the flour mixture to coat completely. Carefully add the calamari, in batches, to the hot oil and fry until coating is crisp and golden, about 1 minute. Be careful not to over-crowd the pan when frying.
- Drain on paper towels atop brown paper bag if available. Sprinkle with additional sea salt and fresh chopped parsley. Garnish with lemon wedges. Serve immediately with Slather Brand Slatherin’ Sauce® for dipping.